Monday, November 28, 2022

Inauguration Speech – Student Speaker

By Soumya Konar

Good afternoon to everyone present here for this elegant day at Alfred State College. Especially, President Mauro, because if he was not here it would be kind of awkward. On a serious note, it is an honor to serve you as the Student Senate President and to stand here in front of an extremely hardworking and talented faculty, staff, administration, delegates, and the student body. 

Nineteen months ago, you can say I felt like Nemo in the movie Finding Nemo, who wandered seamlessly to find a new cultural identity. My journey has emulated the same one Nemo encountered, we both persevered throughout life's ups and downs. My journey has led me to be the voice for Alfred State’s student body – a student body filled with talent, intelligence, and courage. But how did I find this voice? It wasn’t just doing well in academics or the late-night runs into town to get deep fried Oreos from Checkpoint! It was through the environment Alfred State continues to provide for their students, with the quality of education, dedicated faculty and administration and the colorful fall leaves.

The first time I met President Mauro, was not after he was chosen as the 13th President, but it was  during the open student forums when presidential candidates came to visit our beautiful campus. The only forum I had attended last Fall was President Mauro’s where we sat right in the middle of the Student Leadership Center. Fast forward, President Mauro is someone we all see in those Alfred State Instagram videos all across campus working passionately for the growth of our community.

Having been here for less than seven months, President Mauro has taken strides of leadership and community development for Alfred State students. He has continued to foster this surrounding where we can not only dream but also achieve those very dreams. I am excited to see new programs and watch several other initiatives grow and expand these upcoming years. 

Alfred State provides an environment of inclusion and belonging, something I have strived for eighteen years to find - and here I am eight-thousand miles and several oceans away from my home finding my place in Alfred State. 

We have the ability to operate in a diverse and interdependent world full of ideas and innovations. And, as we forge ahead into a year filled with many unknowns and ideas of what we hope to accomplish, I want us all to remember that at the end of it all, we gave our best as Pioneers do!

All we have to do is hit the ground running.

Fellow Pioneers, I hope you have a wonderful rest of the semester! Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment